Italian Placement Test
All students who have not yet studied Italian at Yale (except for those who have no previous formal or informal exposure to Italian whatsoever) are expected to take the Departmental placement exam. Students who studied abroad over the summer with programs other than Yale’s MUST take the placement exam in order to be eligible to receive credit for their work. The placement exam will also insure that these students enroll in the appropriate course should they wish to continue their study of Italian.
The Department strongly recommends that students who earned a score of 5 on the Advanced Placement exam, 6 or 7 on the Advanced-Level International Baccalaureate (IB) exam, a rating of C1 on the CEFR European test, or an A or B on the GCE A-Level exam take the placement exam in order to be directed to the most appropriate course and thus save precious time during Shopping Period.
Students who wish to begin taking Italian in the spring are advised to take the placement exam now. Placement exam results will remain valid for one year.
After taking the Italian test, your placement results will be displayed immediately on screen.
- Students placed in levels L1 through L4 will then follow the instructions below to pre-register for placement in Italian language courses.
- Students who place into L5 may register directly for any L5 course.
- Once you have chosen a class at the appropriate level, you must preregister during online Preregistration.
- Students are responsible for verifying to which section they have been assigned.
- Graduate students cannot preregister online. They need to contact the appropriate course chair.
- If you did not take the placement exam, please contact the Language Program Director, Anna Iacovella
After entering your Yale NetID and Password, you will select your top 3 preferences from a list of available sections for your assigned level. Try, if you can, to choose different time slots. The computer will assign places randomly, taking your preferences into account.
To secure your place in the section, you must attend ALL class meetings.
If you missed the Online Preregistration or were not assigned a section, or if scheduling changes make it necessary for you to switch to a different section, you should contact the appropriate course chair. You should also continue to attend a section of that course until you are sure to have a place in another one.
For questions and concerns, please contact Anna Iacovella.
Further information about placement testing and the use of placement scores at Yale can be found here.
General Information for Online Testing
Dates for Online Testing
- Online Placement Tests for Fall Semester: July 1st at 9:00 am (EST) through August 15th at 5:00 pm (EST).
- Online Placement Tests for Spring Semester: December 9th at 9:00 am (EST) through January 10th at 12:00 noon (tentative).
Please note that technical support for online tests is available during all Yale workdays. On weekends and holidays, you may expect a response on the next workday. For a list of Official Yale Holidays, check the online calendar here.
Unless otherwise noted, placement results are provided in one of the following ways: 1) shown on-screen upon completion of the test, 2) posted to Canvas prior to the start of the semester, or 3) distributed by faculty from the department.
Technical Requirements for Online Testing
After checking that your computer meets the technical requirements above, click the test link below (if you login outside the stated test dates, the test will be unavailable).