Japanese Placement Test
Updated November 2018
Who should take the placement test?
- Students who have studied Japanese before and/or used Japanese at home and wish to place into L2 (Elementary Japanese spring semester) or a higher level Japanese course.
- Students who have returned from Japanese programs abroad (for a summer, semester or year) and wish to skip a course by placing into a level higher than the one they would have proceeded to take after their last course taken at Yale.
- Students who wish to resume Japanese study in class after being absent for one semester or more.
- Students who have no prior knowledge of Japanese and wish to take L1 (Elementary Japanese in the fall semester) need not to take the test. Such students should simply start attending L1 at the beginning of the semester.
The Japanese test includes two components:
- Online component
- Oral Interview
For Fall 2018 placements, the online testing period is July 1 to August 15, and the Oral Interview Test and Writing Test is Sunday, August 26, 2018 from 8:30 am to 12:00 noon at 432 Temple Street, Room 102.
For Spring 2019 placements, the online testing period is from December 8, 2018 to January 4, 2019. Please contact Mari Stever after completing the online placement test.
About the Online Test
The test is for students of all proficiency levels, from the elementary to the most advanced, and may contain items beyond your level. You may leave unanswered any questions you don’t understand, but try to answer as many questions as you can.
You can take short breaks between each test but should complete all four parts in 2.5 hours or less (each part has a maximum time limit). We will have records of times you start and finish the tests, so follow this rule. You can try each test only once. Be sure you are ready and have enough time before you start.
Further information about placement testing and the use of placement scores at Yale can be found here.
General Information for Online Testing
Dates for Online Testing
- Online Placement Tests for Fall Semester: July 1st at 9:00 am (EST) through August 15th at 5:00 pm (EST).
- Online Placement Tests for Spring Semester: December 9th at 9:00 am (EST) through January 10th at 12:00 noon (tentative).
Please note that technical support for online tests is available during all Yale workdays. On weekends and holidays, you may expect a response on the next workday. For a list of Official Yale Holidays, check the online calendar here.
Unless otherwise noted, placement results are provided in one of the following ways: 1) shown on-screen upon completion of the test, 2) posted to Canvas prior to the start of the semester, or 3) distributed by faculty from the department.
Technical Requirements for Online Testing
After checking that your computer meets the technical requirements above, click the test link below (if you login outside the stated test dates, the test will be unavailable).
Test Link (Note: The code is: placeme. You need this secret code to access the test.)