- The deadline for applications for Fall Semester programs is March 1st.
- The deadline for applications for Spring Semester programs is October 15th.
What Fields is
The Fields program gives you the opportunity to pursue advanced-level language study within the context of your academic area of focus (other than language and literature, for which there is normally advanced coursework already available at Yale).
Am I Eligible to Apply?
If you are a registered Yale student (undergraduate, graduate, or professional) in good academic standing, and at the equivalent of an L5 or beyond in your language ability, you are eligible to apply. For undergraduates, this requires evidence of having taken coursework at the L5 level at Yale (or at the highest level offered in the language to be studied).
How Do I Apply?
To learn about the application process, go to the Fields Application Process.
How Fields Works
Fields is a non-credit, discipline-specific language study program, providing coordination and funding for the following components:
- Language Partner - A language partner is a native speaker of the target language. You will meet with your language partner twice a week in one-hour sessions to develop linguistic and cultural competence related to your field of study.
- Instructional Materials - Together with your language partner and you, Fields program staff will assist in identifying authentic texts and audiovisual materials that are appropriate to your area of focus. You are responsible for the purchase of materials for independent study.
- Assessment - You will be tested before and after your Fields program to determine your language proficiency and progress. Whenever possible, oral and written tests are administered and evaluated according to national and standardized ACTFL testing scales.
- ePortfolio – As part of the individualized assessment, Fields students maintain an ePortfolio of language learning experiences, providing an opportunity for self-reflection on and documentation of their growth and progress in the program.
- Field Experience - You will be encouraged to take advantage of existing study abroad opportunities, internships, or other experiences in the field as part of your overall academic plan.
- Coursework - When available, relevant advanced-level language courses at Yale, including content-based language courses, can be included in your planned program of study.
- Consultation – Staff at the Center for Language Study are available to provide guidance and coordination on the overall Fields experience, advice on learning strategies and techniques, and resources to support ongoing independent language study.
Contingent upon funding and provided that satisfactory progress is made, students may be supported for up to four semesters.
What Will I Invest in the Program?
Participation in the Fields program requires time and dedication. As a Fields student, you must be self-motivated and willing and able to assume full responsibility for your learning. You will be expected to:
- attend all of your scheduled sessions, two 1-hour sessions weekly for 12 weeks (and to notify your language partners if you are sick or are leaving town for one of Yale's scheduled academic breaks);
- identify the language study materials you will be using, with the help of your language partner (like a college course, you would purchase your own study materials);
- take responsibility for your own learning through independent study, goal setting, and session planning with your language partner; and
- participate in oral and written proficiency assessments at the end of your Fields study.
What Will I Gain from the Program?
Beyond the rich experience that results from the integration of language and discipline studies, participation in the Fields program helps you:
- prepare a research project or final thesis;
- shape your academic and career goals;
- find study abroad, internships, and other field experiences; and
- foster rewarding intercultural and professional relationships at Yale and around the world.
For further information about the Fields program, please contact email@example.com.