English Language Practice Websites
- Dave’s ESL Café: This website provides an alphabetical dictionary of many different slang terms used by native English speakers.
- ESL Gold: This website acts as a resource for textbooks, web links, online quizzes, and
- The Idiom Connection: Definitions of different parts of speech, like idioms and proverbs as well as examples.
- Many Things: Slang and Idioms: A database of many different slang terms and their meanings.
- Purdue University Online Writing Lab: This very comprehensive site provides detailed instruction on how to structure and write any type of academic writing assignments.
- Activities for ESL Students: This site offers quizzes and additional practice sets for students in all areas of grammar and at all levels of difficulty.
- Many Things: English Grammar: An online resource for additional homework and quizzes for virtually EVERY grammar issue.
Punctuation, Spelling, Sentence structure
- Purdue University Online Writing Lab
- Many Things: English Sentence Patterns: This site provides students with many different games and run ways to practice sentence structure and patterns.
- Many Things: Spelling: More spelling games!
- ESL Cyber Listening Lab: A very extensive database of ESL listening activities and follow up questions.
- Many Things: Listening
- Listening Activities for ESL students
- Highly Recommended TOEFL / TOEIC Links
- TOEFL Grammar
- University of Texas at Austin – ESL services
- ETS TOEFL Practice Online: Buy practice exams of the official TOEFL test from the makers.
- Pronunciation Links
- English Club
- Many Things: Minimal Pair Practice & Quizzes
- Many Things: Pronunciation Practice
- The CAN-8 VirtuaLab
- The Sounds of Spoken English: A phonetic library of sounds and pronunciation guides in English, Spanish and German.
- American Accent: An American English instruction program (not free).
- English Language Learning and Teaching: A database of common pronunciation mistakes by native language.
- ESL Gold: Topics for Conversation
- ESL Gold: Speaking Situations: These links provide students with practice in common speaking situations that you will encounter every day.
- ESL Gold: Useful Expressions (Business English): A database of useful Business English phrases and topics for students to practice.
- ESL Gold: Phrases for Conversation
- English Club: Reading
- Many Things: Reading in English: This provides students with many practical reading assessments like reading signs, American literature and English literature.
- ESL Monkeys
- English as a Second Language website: Reading
- ESL Reading
- Literacy Education Online
- Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL): This is a very comprehensive writing assistance database with information about formatting, style and technical writing assistance.
- University of Texas at Austin
International Teaching Assistants
- TARC Library: A list of articles books and journals to assist International Teaching assistants.
- University of Minnesota Listening Database: This is a database of commonly asked questions that TAs receive. TAs can practice listening to and answering the questions.
- University of Pittsburgh TA Handbook Chapter 9: Practical advice for ITAs on how to better get settled in the US and conduct a classroom.
Medical and Nursing
- Medical Pronunciation Jukebox: This site provides audio lists of medical terminology organized into body systems: digestive, blood, etc.