Chinese Placement Test 分班考试
Updated April 2023
Who should do the placement test?
- The Placement test (See below) is required ONLY for students who either are from a Chinese heritage family OR/AND who have taken some Chinese language course in the past (such as at high schools). Students who took the AP Chinese test still need to take the test, no matter what your score is.
- Students who just returned from a Light Program in China DO NOT need to take the test, but to take a course by skipping one level above what you have finished last spring. (Example: you finished CHNS 120 last spring, after your summer Light program, you take CHNS 150, skipping CHNS 130 at Yale)
- Students with zero knowledge of Chinese DO NOT do anything here, but to shop a CHNS 110 section (L1 course) when semester starts.
- Online test dates for Fall 2023:
- Monday, July 3 (9:00 am) through Monday, July 31 (12:00 noon)
- The purpose of the test for placement only.
- Results will NOT be applied to students’ grade or credit record.
- Students should finish the test independently without using any tools (dictionaries, etc.) and without help from another person (friend, etc.).
- Any breach of this honor code may result in inaccurate placement and may cause a delayed placement.
- Writing: Short Essay and Handwriting Characters
- Grammar and Reading
- Oral Response
- Placement results are uploaded to Canvas prior to the start of the semester.
- Placement exam results will remain valid for ONE year.
Should you have any questions, please email Rongzhen Li, Senior Lector II, Chinese Program Coordinator.
Further information about placement testing and the use of placement scores at Yale can be found here.
After checking that your computer meets the technical requirements above, click the test link below (if you log in outside the stated test dates, the test may be unavailable).