Chinese Placement Test 分班考试
Updated November 2018
Who should do the placement test?
- The Placement test (See below) is required ONLY for students who either are from a Chinese heritage family OR/AND who have taken some Chinese language course in the past (such as at high schools). Students who took the AP Chinese test still need to take the test, no matter what your score is.
- Students who just returned from a Light Program in China DO NOT need to take the test, but to take a course by skipping one level above what you have finished last spring. (Example: you finished Chns120 last spring, after your summer Light program, you take Chinese 150, skipping Chinese 130 at Yale)
- Students with zero knowledge of Chinese DO NOT do anything here, but to shop a Chinese 110 section (L1 course) when semester starts.
- The purpose of the test for placement only.
- Results will NOT be applied to students’ grade or credit record.
- Students should finish the test independently without using any tools (dictionaries, etc.) and without help from another person (friend, etc.).
- Any breach of this honor code may result in inaccurate placement and may cause a delayed placement.
The Chinese test includes three components:
- Online component (one part for listening and one part for grammar & reading)
- Oral Interview (you will receive an email notice with your oral interview time one day before the oral test.)
- Writing Test
For Fall 2018, the online component is from 9:00 am (EST), July 1 to 5:00 pm (EST), August 15. The Oral Interview and Writing Test will be held Sunday, August 26, 2018 from 8:30 am to 12:00 noon, at the Center for Language Study, 370 Temple St. (Room #s will be posted on the main door.)
For Spring 2019, you may access the test between December 8, 2018 and January 4, 2019. Information about the Oral Interview and Writing Test will be available online through the test link at the bottom of this page.
- Placement recommendations will be emailed before school starts, usually one day after the oral interview.
- Placement exam results will remain valid for ONE year.
Should you have any questions, please email Ninghui Liang, the Chinese Program Coordinator.
Further information about placement testing and the use of placement scores at Yale can be found here.
General Information for Online Testing
Dates for Online Testing
- Online Placement Tests for Fall Semester: July 1st at 9:00 am (EST) through August 15th at 5:00 pm (EST).
- Online Placement Tests for Spring Semester: December 9th at 9:00 am (EST) through January 10th at 12:00 noon (tentative).
Please note that technical support for online tests is available during all Yale workdays. On weekends and holidays, you may expect a response on the next workday. For a list of Official Yale Holidays, check the online calendar here.
Unless otherwise noted, placement results are provided in one of the following ways: 1) shown on-screen upon completion of the test, 2) posted to Canvas prior to the start of the semester, or 3) distributed by faculty from the department.
Technical Requirements for Online Testing
After checking that your computer meets the technical requirements above, click the test link below (if you login outside the stated test dates, the test will be unavailable).