If I am a native speaker of a language other than English, do I have to fulfill the Foreign Language Requirement?

Every student must study some foreign language while at Yale. In fact, if your secondary school work was not conducted entirely in your native language, you might still be required to take a placement exam to demonstrate your ability in the foreign language. Once you have demonstrated your proficiency level, you could take two semesters of a new language, or, if you are not a native speaker of English, you could fulfill the requirement by taking ENGL 114 a or b, 120 a or b, or 450b. Consult Chapter III of the Yale College Programs of Study for specific regulations. (If you have further questions, contact the Center for Language Study at cls@yale.edu.)