Foreign Language Requirement
Yale College Foreign Language Requirement
To ensure that undergraduate students are exposed to a range of ideas and disciplines during their time at Yale, Yale College requires them to fulfill a variety of distributional requirements. As knowledge of more than one language and familiarity with more than one culture is becoming increasingly important, the distributional requirements include foreign language study.
Yale College has created a requirement designed to ensure that all students improve their proficiency in at least one foreign language. How many courses you take to fulfill the requirement will depend on your language experience prior to entering Yale, but for every student, some language study at the college level is necessary.
Click here to see information about the language requirement from the Yale College Dean's Office.
Questions & Answers
- What is the Foreign Language Requirement?
- In which languages can I fulfill the Foreign Language Requirement? Can I fulfill it in a language not taught at Yale?
- If I am a native speaker of a language other than English, do I have to fulfill the Foreign Language Requirement?
- If my secondary school education was in a language other than English, what more do I have to do to fulfill the requirement?
- What do I do if I took the Advanced Placement (AP) test or the International Baccalaureate (IB) Advanced-level exam?
- How do I know which courses fulfill which parts of the requirement? How and where are the courses designated?